Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Capers - Little Rock, AR

Yesterday, I went to dine at a place I had been wanting to go since I began medical school, CAPERS....

The Place: Dim lighting with lots of windows, it has a very cozy feel to it. The artwork on the walls keeps your eyes very busy and interested. Its kinda like being in the kitchen of Paula Dean. I enjoyed the look of the place
The food: My starter was BBQ shrimp with grits. Ok....the dish was ok, but it was nothing like I expected it to be. The shrimp did not even faintly taste like they had any essence of BBQ in them. There was a kick to them, but it was solely spice, not BBQ or smokey. The grits tasted like potatoes. I took a small bite and tried to make them taste like grits, but they tasted like mashed potatoes. To make matters worse, it was surrounded by what looked to be Thanksgiving Turkey gravy. The dish tasted good, but it was not what I expected from the description.
For my main dish I had a cup of mushroom soup and the Albacore Tuna Salad over greens. The Tuna Salad was stuffed inside of a fresh tomato and on a generous serving of veggies. I enjoyed the combination of the tuna salad with everything, but by itself, it was VERY salty. The salad had a dressing on it that I still have not decided on what exactly its purpose was. It was definitely sweet and a little acidic...less sweet and more tang would have been appreciated. The soup was THE BEST part of the meal. This soup is the best soup I've ever had in my life. It was this creamy, rich portabella mushroom soup. The mushroom were minced and were throughout the soup. It looks like cookies and cream ice cream if you were to let a bowl of it melt. It was the best part of the meal....so good, I went to the market and got some to go
My dessert was a chocolate creme burlee......it was more dense than i wanted in a dessert. It was good, but did not feel like a creme burlee on my palate.
Service : HORRIBLE. I was there a total of 2 hours and not because it was busy. It was because my server just did not pay attention to us. The young lady pouring the water came to us 8 times, he came 3.

Impression: Capers is a slightly overrated, reasonablely priced spot. Good for lunch, but i wouldn't return for dinner.....probably won't go back for dinner.
Rating: ** 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment